Are you good at kumihimo? Do you want to be great?
Are you ready to expertly design your own kumihimo patterns and confidently select colors that you KNOW will look great together? Are you tired of guessing what beads go where and tired of ripping out braids that don’t turn out as expected?
Join me for a four-day/three-night design experience that will open up a whole new world of creative opportunities! Invest in yourself and get on the fast track to design mastery. This intimate gathering of only 10 students allows tons of one-on-one time with me as I distill my years of experience into accessible information you can use now.
Are you ready to accelerate you kumihimo designs? Are you looking for the techniques that take a design from good to great? Do you want to become a master of composition and color?
Then I invite you to peek behind the curtains and step into my world. Kumihimo Design: Mastering Composition & Color is a four-day master class experience I’ve designed as part of our kumihimo retreat in Sonoita, Arizona.
In the first session, The Toolbox, you’ll refine your understanding of traditional design concepts such as rhythm, symmetry, balance, and proportion, but this goes far beyond an art appreciation 101… You’ll master the how and the why. You’ll be able to make design decisions with intention so that your elements work the way you want them to.
In the second session, The Power Tools, you’ll learn how to artfully edit your work before you even pick up a bead! Imagine the time and frustration you’ll save when you can judge your designs on paper and know they’re good before you begin braiding!
In the third session, The Prism, you’ll master color selection by examining the effect of different bead finishes on color perception. The secret to pleasing palettes is balance and you’ll apply your knowledge of proportion to create color combinations that sing and mix beads as though they were paint.
Each day you’ll be working hands-on writing your own jewelry designs, critiquing your work, prototyping, and braiding. This is an amazing experience that will change your approach to design no matter what level you’re starting at!
Imagine Your Kumihimo Retreat
Our meals and workshops will take place at the lovely After Midnight Art Ranch in Sonoita, Arizona. For reference, it’s about an hour and 15 minute drive from Design & Adorn. If you’re flying in from out of state, we can pick you up at the Tucson airport.
You’ll arrive Thursday afternoon and get settled into your room at either After Midnight Ranch or the neighboring Xanadu Ranch. Then relax and mingle in the dining room or out on one of the lovely balconies or patios. Perhaps enjoy a drink before dinner. Margaritas, anyone? Your first project awaits during this happy hour so have your kumihimo disk handy.
We’ll start the party with our Welcome Fiesta! Mix & mingle with your new braiding buddies and enjoy a delicious home-cooked dinner. After the party winds down, you’ll retreat to your private bedroom and have sweet dreams of kumihimo.
Friday morning we’ll start the first workshop session after breakfast. You’ll explore the math of pattern, proportion, and design in Kumihimo. After our fabulous lunch we’ll continue the workshop. Our evenings are reserved for dining and merry making! You might braid after dinner or maybe you’ll unwind with a glass of wine? Enjoy the time with your new friends and soak in the gorgeous views of the Santa Rita mountains.
Saturday follows the same format as Friday with our workshop focus shifting to the art and science of color theory. You’ve been experimenting with different design concepts and now your plan is starting to take shape! Once again you enjoy a gourmet dinner and an evening reveling in comradery and artistic inspiration. Your mind is really spinning now with all sorts of braiding possibilities.
Sunday morning after breakfast we have our last workshop session. You may be putting the finishing touches on your master plan or it may have moved on to write another, but either way you leave bursting with fresh ideas and the confidence to create your own designs. After our last lunch together we say our goodbyes and return home.
When is it?
November 16-19, 2017 SOLD OUT
March 1-4, 2018 Registration opens October 3, 2017
What’s the investment?
- $1499 – Regular Price
- $99 down reserves your spot
- Then four monthly payments of $350 starting in November.
- $1299 – Early Registration Price (Only available October 3rd – 31st!)
- When you pay-in-full by October 31st you also get these two fabulous bonuses!
- A 20 minute one-on-one laser coaching session with me. Bring two necklaces with you… one you love and one you hate. I’ll help you pinpoint where you design went off track and make a plan for the redesign.
- An 8×8 memory book with all of the best pictures from the retreat. Photo books will be ready approximately 12-14 weeks after the retreat.
- When you pay-in-full by October 31st you also get these two fabulous bonuses!
- An amazing exploration of design theory and color. You’ll learn what you need to design your own original kumihimo patterns. You’ll know how to customize a beaded pattern to your exact size requirements and desired color palette. Leave with the practical skills to take an idea from concept to written pattern to finished necklace!
- The 120 page text book Kumihimo Design: Mastering Composition & Color by Rebecca Ann Combs.
- Three-nights’ accommodation at the After Midnight Art Ranch, or Xanadu Ranch. All private bedrooms, some shared baths.
- All meals & beverages. That’s dinner Thursday; breakfast, lunch, & dinner on Friday & Saturday; breakfast & lunch on Sunday. Coffee, tea, water, and soft drinks available are available throughout the day. Wine, margaritas, and other adult beverages are served with/after dinner.
- Pick-up and drop-off at the Tucson Airport if you’re flying in from out of state.
- Transportation each day from the Xanadu Ranch to/from After Midnight Art Ranch. (If needed.)
- Bead kit for the master class ($120+ value)
- So much swag you’ll think it’s your birthday! At 17″ the official Wine, Dine & Design zippered tote bag is big enough for a weekend’s worth of kumihimo projects and even has a padded compartment for packing your electronics. You’ll also get an engraved treasure box full of goodies to get your creative juices flowing. The treasures are different at each retreat, but it the past have includes custom made focal beads in a variety of media.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will we be working on the disk or the marudai.
The focus of the workshop is the design process. We’ll do some quick sampler projects on the disk, but the majority of the hands-on time will be spent designing and charting your bead patterns.
The skills you learn can be applied to braids on either the disk or marudai, whichever you prefer to work with at home, but for your convenience on this retreat you’ll only need a disk.
What are we going to make?
You’re going to write your own kumihimo pattern focusing on ombrés, color blocking, pattern blocking, and fades. Unlike most classes this isn’t about us all making a specific, predetermined design chosen by the teacher. You’re here to unlock your design talents and to learn HOW to come up with your own designs.
With that in mind, think of the kit as tools you will work with to hone your design skills. You’ll be writing your patterns based on the beads in your kit. Want to see you color choices?
Are there any prerequisites?
You should be comfortable with beaded kumihimo (beaded kongoh gumi) on either the disk or the marudai.
What if something comes up and I can’t attend?
Because so many moving parts have to work in harmony for an event like this to be a success, once you register we are counting on your attendance. We reserve lodging, catering, and other professional services on your behalf.
Fifty percent of your registration fee will be refunded for cancellations at least 60 days prior to the start of the retreat.
There will be no refunds, store credits, or transfers to other events for cancellations less than 60 days prior to the retreat.
We know that life can be unpredictable and that is why we highly recommend that you purchase cancellation and travel insurance just as you would for any other vacation package.
What if I have special dietary needs?
After you register, we’ll touch base with you to go over any dietary needs. We’ll do our best to accommodate, but please note that there is only one kitchen.
Can I bring my spouse or other non-student guest?
I’m sorry, but we’re not able to accommodate any extra people who are not paying retreat students.
Can I bring my pet(s)?
Sorry, but no.
That sounds great!
How do I sign up
Registration is now open! Call us at 520-209-1900 with your credit card ready.