How to Apply
Please read through the detailed job description below. If you’re a match for who we’re looking for please email your resume (Word or PDF) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to explain in your cover letter why you’d be a great addition to our team and describe your availability.
If you are interested, don’t wait to apply! We’re looking for someone to start in January 2018.
Please do not call or stop by in person to talk to Rebecca about this position. Yes, this is a test.
As part of the sales team you will help us meet monthly sales goals by:
- Assisting customers with their merchandise and class selection. This involves listening to the customer to determine what materials or classes would be most appropriate for their desired project and skill level. You’ll also describe our beads, findings, supplies and classes and explain the differences between merchandise and class options.
- Ringing up sales using a computer POS (Point-of-Sale). This involves cheerfully, efficiently, and accurately using a computer program on our Windows 8 computer. We will train you on how to use our specific software, but you must come to the table already fluent in computer usage.
- Cleaning & Organizing the Store. This involves vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, and taking out the garbage.
- Packaging Merchandise. This involves quickly and accurately counting out small items (think clasps, endcaps, jump rings, etc.), inspecting for damage, bagging, and labeling.
- Cutting & Packaging Ribbon and Cord. This involves quickly and accurately measuring 6-12 yards of rattail and other cords and ribbons. Fibers are measured, cut, then twisted into skeins. We’ll teach you how to do this.
- Restocking Displays. This involves replenishing displays with merchandise from backstock or incoming orders. This involves bending and reaching. Attention to detail comes in the play here as well. Also important is the ability to lift and carry heavy (up to 40lbs) boxes.
- Receiving Orders This involves comparing the contents of orders received against the packing slip and purchase order to check for accuracy, logging the received items in our computer point-of-sale system, printing merchandise tags, and filing paperwork. We will train you on how to use our specific software, but you must come to the table already fluent in computer usage.
- Stepping up to do other essentials tasks. This may include cleaning, stocking, receiving, taking physical inventory and other stock work.
Who would be best suited for this job?
To be successful in this position it is essential that you:
- are dependable and punctual. You always come to work on time on your scheduled days. We are a small team and we are counting on you!
- are a good listener and communicator. Our helpfulness and friendliness is how we set Design & Adorn apart from the competition.
- an easy-going, cheerful person. You laugh more than you grumble. We’re talking about life here, not just work.
- embrace the D.I.Y. spirit. We will train you how to do jewelry making the Design & Adorn way, but you must possess a basic level of maker skills.
- do not have a criminal record. Because of the money handling and contact with customer credit cards all sales associates are subject to a pre-hire background check.
- are a fast learner and a quick thinker.
- are a hard-worker and a team player. Your role is essential to the success of this enterprise.
- enjoy working with the public. That’s what you’ll be doing all day.
- can stand,walk, and maneuver around the store all day. This involves bending, twisted, squatting, and climbing short ladders and step-stools. You’ll be able to sit down for some stock work tasks, but expect to stand while assisting customers.
- have basic computer skills and can type at a reasonable speed. You don’t need to be a programmer, but you know your way around Windows, Word, Excel, Facebook, and Gmail.
- can count and measure accurately and efficiently.
- can do basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- can see well. We work with some beads that are very tiny (1mm diameter).
- can see color. Color selection is a major part of helping customers choose beads.
- can lift and carry 40lb boxes (beads & findings are heavy).
- can work independently once given instructions.
- keep your cool in stressful situations.
- have an eye for detail and enjoy repetitive tasks.
- are a self-directed and can take the initiative to make things better.
Why it’s great being part of the Design & Adorn team…
- You matter. Your ideas, input, and effort are valued and visible. We’re a small, locally-owned business with five people on our team currently. We’re a fun bunch of people who work hard while having a good time.
- Paid training for both selling and jewelry making skills. You need to be an expert on kumihimo and beading in order to serve our customers, so we’ll teach you.
- 25% off employee discount. This is good for both merchandise and classes.
- Paid Vacation & Holidays.
- The sales floor a fast-paced creative environment where every day is different; however, the stock portion before we open is very quiet. If you find your zen in repetitive tasks, then you’ll love it!
- Wear your own clothes. Keep it classy and professional like you always do and you can wear what you like. No uniforms or having to wear XYZ Brand from head to toe.
- The competitive hourly wages plus the opportunity to earn team-based performance bonuses up to $2.00 per hour on a monthly basis. (We have an excellent track record of making our bonus goals!)
What are the hours?
We are currently open
Tuesday-Friday 10:00 AM – 5:00ish PM
Saturday 9:00 AM – 5:00ish PM.
I say 5:00ish on the closing time because we don’t leave until all the customers are gone. Tuesday – Thursday we’re generally out of here by 5:30 PM. On most Fridays & Saturdays we have classes that don’t finish until 5:30 or 6:00 so we don’t leave until 6:00 or 6:30.
We host after hours events at least 2 Thursdays per month. These events are scheduled until 7:30 PM and we can usually leave around 8:00 PM.
There is also a mandatory team meeting from 8:45 AM to 9:30 AM on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesday of every month.
We have two All Hands on Deck events each year, during which times you’ll be required to work overtime (paid,of course) and during days & hours outside of your usual schedule. These are the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show and Physical Inventory. The dates for these events are posted months in advance, so that you can plan your life around them. The next gem show is January 26 – February 3, 2018.
For the full-time position we need someone to work Tuesday – Saturday. For the part-time position, it’s all day Friday & Saturday plus the Thursday evening parties and Wednesday morning team meetings (about 20-24 hours per week.)
Please describe your availability in your cover letter and let us know if you are interested in full- or part-time. Late in 2018 or early 2019 we’d like to extend our hours to be open until 6:00 or 7:00 PM during the week. If you are available and willing to work a later shift when the time comes, be sure to let us know that.
How to Apply
Please read through the job description. If you’re a match for who we’re looking for please email your resume (Word or PDF) and cover letter to email@example.com. Be sure to explain in your cover letter why you’d be a great addition to our team and describe your availability.
Please do not call or stop by in person to inquire about this position. Yes, this is a test.