Please do not call or stop by in person to talk to Rebecca about this position. Keep reading for application instructions. Yes, this is a test.
Join our stock & sales team part-time!
We’re looking for someone to join our team three days per week doing stock work in the early morning and staying to work with our sales team until the early afternoon.
The hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 6:30 AM – 12:30 PM
As a member of the stock team you will:
- Package Merchandise. This involves quickly and accurately counting out small items (think clasps, endcaps, jump rings, etc.), inspecting for damage, bagging, and labeling.
- Cut & Package Ribbon and Cord. This involves quickly and accurately measuring 6-12 yards of rattail and other cords and ribbons. Fibers are measured, cut, then twisted into skeins. We’ll teach you how to do this.
- Restock Displays. This involves replenishing displays with merchandise from backstock or incoming orders. This involves bending and reaching. Attention to detail comes in the play here as well. Also important is the ability to lift and carry heavy (up to 40lbs) boxes.
- Receive Orders This involves comparing the contents of orders received against the packing slip and purchase order to check for accuracy, logging the received items in our computer point-of-sale system, printing merchandise tags, and filing paperwork. We will train you on how to use our specific software, but you must come to the table already fluent in computer usage.
- Clean & Tidy the Store. This involves vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, and taking out the garbage.
- Step up to do other essential tasks needed to keep the store running smoothly.
As part of the sales team you will help us meet monthly sales goals by:
- Assisting customers with their merchandise and class selection. This involves listening to the customer to determine what materials or classes would be most appropriate for their desired project and skill level. You’ll also describe our beads, findings, supplies and classes and explain the differences between merchandise and class options.
- Ringing up sales using a computer POS (Point-of-Sale). This involves cheerfully, efficiently, and accurately using a computer program on our Windows 8 computer. We will train you on how to use our specific software, but you must come to the table already fluent in computer usage.
- Stepping up to do other essentials tasks. This may include cleaning, stocking, receiving, taking physical inventory and other stock work.
Who would be best suited for this job?
To be successful in this position it is essential that you:
- are a morning person (or can fake it convincingly.)
- love color and jewelry!
- are dependable and punctual. You always come to work on time on your scheduled days. We are a small team and we are counting on you!
- are a good listener and communicator. Our helpfulness and friendliness is how we set Design & Adorn apart from the competition. Previous retail sales or customer service experience is highly desirable.
- an easy-going, cheerful person. You laugh more than you grumble. We’re talking about life here, not just work.
- enjoy some sort of arts & crafts hobby and embrace the D.I.Y. spirit. We will train you how to do jewelry making the Design & Adorn way, but you must possess a basic level of arts & crafts skills. Preference will be given to applicants with previous jewelry making experience (any medium).
- do not have a criminal record. Because of the money handling and contact with customer credit cards all sales associates are subject to a pre-hire background check.
- are a fast learner and a quick thinker.
- are a hard-worker and a team player. Your role is essential to the success of this enterprise.
- enjoy working with the public. That’s what you’ll be doing all day.
- can stand,walk, and maneuver around the store all day. This involves bending, twisted, squatting, and climbing short ladders and step-stools. You’ll be able to sit down for some stock work tasks, but expect to stand while assisting customers.
- have basic computer skills and can type at a reasonable speed. You don’t need to be a programmer, but you know your way around Windows, Word, Excel, Facebook, and Gmail.
- can count and measure accurately and efficiently.
- can do basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- can see well. We work with some beads that are very tiny (1mm diameter).
- can see color. Color selection is a major part of helping customers choose beads.
- can lift and carry 40lb boxes (beads & findings are heavy).
- can work independently once given instructions.
- keep your cool in stressful situations.
- have an eye for detail.
- enjoy repetitive tasks.
- are a good listener and able to follow directions.
- are a good communicator. If you have an idea for a more efficient way to do something, we want to know about it.
Why it’s great being part of the Design & Adorn team…
- You matter. Your ideas, input, and effort are valued and visible. We’re a small locally owned business with five people on our team currently. We’re a fun bunch of people who work hard while having a good time.
- Paid training. You need to be an expert on kumihimo and beading in order to serve our customers, so we’ll teach you.
- 25% off employee discount. This is good for both merchandise and classes.
- We’re closed on most major holidays: New Year’s Day, Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
- The sales floor a fast-paced creative environment where every day is different; however, the stock portion before we open is very quiet. If you find your zen in repetitive tasks, then you’ll love it!
- Wear your own clothes. Keep it classy and professional like you always do and you can wear what you like. No uniforms or having to wear XYZ Brand from head to toe.
- The starting pay for this position is $10.00 per hour plus the opportunity to earn team-based performance bonuses up to $2.00 per hour on a monthly basis. (We have an excellent track record of making our bonus goals!)
What are the hours?
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 6:30 AM – 12:30 PM.
Plus once or twice a monthly we’ll need you to help work an evening event. These are usually Thursdays from 4:30 – 8:30 PM.
We’d love it if you could be flexible and pick up some extra hours during the gem show. The dates for 2017 are January 27 – February 4.
You are required to work the entirety of our annual physical inventory even though it falls outside of your regularly scheduled hours. The dates for 2017 are September 16-19.
Please describe your availability in your cover letter.
How to Apply
Please read through the job description. If you’re a match for who we’re looking for please email your resume (Word or PDF) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to explain in your cover letter why you’d be a great addition to our team and describe your availability.
Please do not call or stop by in person to inquire about this position. Yes, this is a test.
Please Note: Due to the high volume of interest, not all candidates will receive a response; If you do not receive a response it is because we have chosen not to interview you at this time.